From INTERSTATE 81
[flexiblemap center=”38.53575,-78.27867″ region=”US” width=”100%” height=”500″ maptype=”hybrid” zoom=”9″ title=”The Lodges at Old Rag Mountain” description=”—– Memories Are Made Here! —–“]
1. Route 81 to Harrisonburg.
2. East on Route 33 to Ruckersville (37 miles).
3. North on Route 29 to Madison (13 miles).
4. At Madison, bear left on combined Business Route 29 and Route 231.
5. Continue through the town of Madison and at the North end of town bear left on Route 231
6. Continue on Route 231 North to Etlan (11 miles). Small General Store on right (that’s it for Etlan!).
7. Left on Route 643-(Etlan Road) (0.3 miles).
8. Right on Route 644-(Emmett Road) and continue to The Lodges sign on left next to a mailbox that looks like a tractor 50 yards before brick ranch house on left (0.7 miles). NOTE: WE ARE NOT THE BRICK RANCH HOUSE! — FOLLOW DIRECTIONS TO LODGES LOCATED UP THE ROAD IN THE WOODS.
9. Left on gravel road (at sign and tractor mail box) through the farm yard (75 yards)
10. RIGHT at the top of the ridge at the large reflective sign, heading directly towards Old Rag Mountain.
11. Continue on gravel road to the intersection in the road where there is a second sign – Spirit-Dancer Lodge is to the left, Sun-Dancer Lodge is straight ahead and Star Dancer Lodge is to the right.
If there are heavy rains, the mountains dump a large volume of water in the Route 644 stream and the road becomes impassable for a relative short period of time. The stream rises quickly and settles quickly. This is easily overcome with a very short detour. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE WATER and risk having your car end up in the ditch!
1. Return back to Route 231 and proceed North on 231 towards Sperryville.
2. Go 0.4 miles and turn left on Route 646 (Champlain Road).
3.Proceed to Route 644-(the other end of Emmett Road) and turn left.
4. Proceed around the bend in the road and turn right at the next gravel road (by our sign and the tractor mail box) and go through the farm yard (75 yards)
5. RIGHT at the top of the ridge at the large reflective sign, heading directly towards Old Rag Mountain.
6. Continue on gravel road to the intersection in the road where there is a second sign – Spirit-Dancer Lodge is to the left, Sun-Dancer Lodge is straight ahead and Star Dancer Lodge is to the right.